Sunday, May 11, 2014

Can we talk Hazelnuts please? Thank-you Smitten Kitchen!

Linzer cookies are one of my all time favorites. For years I used the Silver Palate recipe. I still stand by that one. You can actually use pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts with excellent results. I used to put the pecans in my Mouli grater and grate the nuts in tiny batches- it resulted in a light dry nut flour that was perfect. Then for 20 bucks I got a mill- weighs a ton, hard to store, but it is so nice to be able to make a nut flour out of any nut I want. So I used Smitten Kitchen's recipe this time. I did put the nuts and suger into the food processor, but only after I had ground them into a nice nut flour. Don't skip the toasting.... trust me.
Oh, and about that nutella... come'on, Raspberry with a top quality jam is the way to go. Even my son who is not a fan of jam nor fruity things said these were hands down the best thing I have ever made, EVER!!





By golly she did it again. This Hazelnut Torte decorated with edible flowers is just to die for. If you are a nutella fan, THIS is the real deal.
How did I adapt this? Well, chocolate sings with vanilla and bourbon and coffee, so why discriminate. I add a touch of each in the chocolate mixture.
And I will tell you that if you plan on using whipped cream for any type of decorating or anything other than globbing it onto something USE GELATIN!! It just means it will look good, stay fresh looking in the refrigerator if you have any leftovers (I know this seems impossible to fathom, but maybe you made it when you were home alone and you deserved a great fabulous cake... then it would need to keep nicely!) And yeah, any liquor will do in the whipped cream- bourbon if you don't have Frangelico. Maybe a splash of almond or hazelnut extract.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment